The German Rocket Team, also known as the Von Braun Rocket Team, poses for a group photograph at Fort Bliss, Texas. After World War II ended in 1945, Dr. Wernher von Braun led some 120 of his Peenemuende Colleagues, who developed the V-2 rocket for the German military during the War, to the United Sttes under a contract to the U.S. Army Corps as part of Operation Paperclip. During the following five years the team worked on high altitude firings of the captured V-2 rockets at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, and a guided missile development unit at Fort Bliss, Texas. In April 1950, the group was transferred to the Army Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA) at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama, and continued to work on the development of the guided missiles for the U.S. Army until transferring to a newly established field center of the National Aeronautic and Space Administration (NASA), George C. Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC).
Name of Image: Von Braun Rocket Team at Fort Bliss, Texas
MIX #: 8915531
NIX #: 8915531 MSFC-8915531
Date of Image: 1940-01-01
Category: Origin of Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC)
The archive.org article pulled from a NASA web page could not have been written in 1940 as it addresses events years after that. Also the referenced photo of von Braun could not have been taken in 1940 as he was otherwise occupied in Germany manufactureing V2 rockets until 1945 when he was taken into custody by American authorities. He would have been at Ft. Bliss in 1946. The citation on NASA's site is in error regarding the date of the photograph.